Update: immovable mouse cursor under XFree86 (Debian 1.3)

The bottom of my mouse says the mouse
is an IntelliMouse 1.1A and PS/2 compatible.
The port the mouse plugs into is a PS/2 port
(ie, round).  So within /etc/X11/XF86Config,
I changed (under the "Pointer" section) the
Protocol to be "PS/2", and then changed
the Device to be "/dev/mouse"  [On my box,
/dev/mouse is a link to /dev/ttyS0.].

This did not work.  IE, the pointer is still
immovable.  Also, I tried /dev/psaux, but
my X server failed because it could not open
this device.

I believe both "PS/2" and "/dev/mouse"
are correct.

What else could be messing up the mouse/cursor?
-c