Re: Update: immovable mouse cursor under XFree86 (Debian 1.3)

Charles Read wrote:

> The bottom of my mouse says the mouse
> is an IntelliMouse 1.1A and PS/2 compatible.
> The port the mouse plugs into is a PS/2 port
> (ie, round).  So within /etc/X11/XF86Config,
> I changed (under the "Pointer" section) the
> Protocol to be "PS/2", and then changed
> the Device to be "/dev/mouse"  [On my box,
> /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/ttyS0.].
>
> This did not work.  IE, the pointer is still
> immovable.  Also, I tried /dev/psaux, but
> my X server failed because it could not open
> this device.
>
> I believe both "PS/2" and "/dev/mouse"
> are correct.
>
> What else could be messing up the mouse/cursor?
> -c

You should change the mouse device to /dev/psaux because
that is the device for a "PS/2" mouse. If the X server
dies because it couldn't open this device, it could be
because your kernel doesn't have support for the PS/2
mouse. Check your boot messages (can be viewed by typing
'dmesg'), there will be a message saying that our PS/2
device has been detected.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com