Re: Must pppd be run by root?

Richard Kettlewell said:
> The diald package removes all the hassle of starting and shutting down
> network connections over a transient link, incidentally - you might
> like to investuigate that.

But does it handle dynamic IP address assignment nicely? Previous diald
packages didn't, and I don't know if they even can. It's really quite annoying
to start up ftp, have to kill it once the link comes up, and then start it
again.

Instead, I just created a group 'ppp', and did:

chgrp ppp /usr/sbin/pppd
chmod 2750 /usr/sbin/pppd
chgrp -R ppp /etc/ppp
chmod -R o-rwx /etc/ppp

So, users in group 'ppp' can fire up the ppp link.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"May the Great Camel of Paradise bestow upon you and yours a dropping."
   - (?)