Re: /etc/psdevtab?

eckes said:
> its a map between Minor/Major Device numbers and Device Names. This is
> needed for programs like ps which want to print the device names for given
> inodes. This table is created automatically, if you run "ps" (from the
> procps package in the base) the first time. This speeds up ps a big time and
> reduces the amount of 'stats' in the /dev/ directory on the following
> invokations of ps.

I guess it doesn't work, then. I've got a 12288 byte file full of zeros.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"If the automobile had followed the same development cyclee as the computer, a
   Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and
   explode once a year, killing everyone inside."
   - Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld