Re: newsgroup für debian

"Bruno Hertz" <brrhtz@yahoo.de> writes:

> [quote "Larsi's Antwort"]
>
>  > Gmane apparently behaves differently, i.e. leaves MIDs intact, but
>  > this very much looks like an 'undocumented feature' which might change
>  > any day. Since it is still of relevance, I and I'm sure many others
>  > would highly appreciate some clarification on this matter.
>
>  Unconditional Message-ID rewriting is pretty silly, and I don't know
>  why anybody does that.  It break threading, might lead to injection
>  loops on Usenet, makes it difficult to respond in a sensible way.
>
>  So, no, Gmane is never going to start doing unconditional Message-ID
>  rewriting.  (It's sometimes necessary when the same message is posted
>  to several mailing lists, though.)
>
> [quote end "Larsi's Antwort"]

Noch ein Followup, FYI und um zu vermeiden, daß jetzt Leute an bofh.it
posten und vielleicht Larsi (falsch) zitieren.

Genauer macht es einen Unterschied, ob ein News server standalone ist,
wie Gmane, oder tatsächlich in's Usenet eingebunden ist, wie
bofh.it. Daher habe ich nochmal nachgefragt:

[quote "Meine Frage"]

> So, no, Gmane is never going to start doing unconditional Message-ID
> rewriting.  (It's sometimes necessary when the same message is posted
> to several mailing lists, though.)

That is, if I understand correctly, it's sometimes necessary to
specifically convert multiposts into crossposts ?

And that would then be the only reason you can imagine right now why
conditional MID rewriting might make sense for Mailing Lists/News
gateways ?

Thanks a lot, Bruno.

[quote end "Meine Frage"]

[quote "Larsi's Antwort"]

> That is, if I understand correctly, it's sometimes necessary to
> specifically convert multiposts into crossposts ?

It's not generally possible to convert multiposts, because you don't
know that it is a multipost until you see the second copy.  By that
time it's too late to do anything other than rewrite the Message-ID.

> And that would then be the only reason you can imagine right now why
> conditional MID rewriting might make sense for Mailing Lists/News
> gateways ?

Well, if the list is supposed to be distributed to the general Usenet,
then there's another reason.  it.lists.linux-kernel and
de.lists.linux-kernel might really be the same mailing list.  Then
news servers that carry both these Usenet news groups will look very
strange -- they won't have messages for these groups based on which
group got the messages in question first.

But if you're not a Usenet news server (and Gmane isn't a Usenet news
server), then that's basically the only reason.

[quote end "Larsi's Antwort"]

Also, in summa, während das MID rewriting bei bofh.it durchaus Sinn
machen kann, und daher in diesem Fall eben nicht am Gateway vorbei
gepostet werden sollte, ist ein rewriting bei Gmane eben nicht nötig.

Gruss, Bruno.