Re: Biblatex

Hi all,

Jan Hauke Rahm scripsit (30.08.2008 19:19)
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 04:31:26PM +0200, Hilmar Preuße wrote:
>> Your you might notice, there is not much activity lately. Franks
>> computer died and Norbert is out for climbing. Normally we wait until
>> a special package has made it into TeX Live upstream and package that
>> thingy, as soon the TL version is out.

For your information, after discussion we decided not to include biblatex in
the next TL release (2008), since after asking the author, he said he'd prefer
that we don't. (As you may know, though it is of course free software, the is
a notice in the README kindly asking TeX distributors to refrain from
packaging it before version 1.0).

The main reasons of the author (quoting from memory) are:
- Don't fix a development version on DVD.
- Don't increase the user base too widely for now, since the project is still
in development phase and he thinks spending to much time on user support at
this early stage would take his time and finally hurt the project.

While the first reason no longer hold for Debian (the package would be in sid,
and testing after Lenny release, so only installed by those who update
regularly), the second one may still hold.

I don't know what is the best thing to do. I'm under the impression that the
user base is already quite large anyway (I no longer use bibtex w/o biblatex
myself) but probably the barrier of installing it limits the user base to
"more-than-average" users?

> PS: Id there a reason for csquotes (in texlive-latex-extra) to be
> version 3.6 while 4.1 is at ctan.org? I hust noticed because Biblatex
> needs 3.8.

I assume the reason is, texlive-* packages in debian are updated from TL and
not from CTAN (this is TL's job...) So csquotes is still the same version as
in TL2007 (the no-for-very-longer current release). TL'08 ships v4.2 (where
did you see that current version on CTAN is 4.1? I doubt we took our version
from anywhere else that CTAN).

Manuel.