Re: Issues with and after upgrade to texlive

Hi Frans!

On Mit, 18 Apr 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> 1. Disappearing top margin
> If I build in an i386 sid chroot the top margin in PDF disappears, while
> if I build on an amd64 sid system they are fine. Compare:
> - http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i_manual/install.en_i386.pdf
> - http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i_manual/install.en_amd64.pdf

The configuration seems to be different:
pdfinfo gives
	Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter) for i386
and
	Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4) for amd64

> Compare:
> - http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i_manual/ru.pdf_etch.log
> - http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i_manual/ru.pdf_sid.log

Since dvipdf does nothing else then
	dvips -Ppdf -q -f "$infile" |
the difference must be again in the configuration of dvips. I guess the
problem is related to the fonts
	lasxNNNN and laitNNNN
I have NO idea where they are coming from. Can you search your computer
with dlocate/locate and tell me where they are?

> As you can see the 'dvipdf' step now takes 8 _minutes_ instead of
> 20 _seconds_, and the 8 minutes is on a system that is a lot faster!
> The resulting PDF files are the same in both cases AFAICT.

This is probably due to the generation of pixmap fonts, or some other
font generation.

Can you run:
	dvips -Ppdf "$infile"
and send me the output (of stdout and stderr?)

Does it *always* take so long time?

> - a lot of "page may be too complex to print" warnings

Probably a consequence that pixmap fonts are included and not outline
fonts, which makes the sizes much much much bigger, and so more complex.

> - "Checksum mismatch" warnings for fonts that AFAICT are not even
>   installed (nor available in Debian)

See above ...

> - the "no %%Page comments generated" which I don't understand at all

No idea.

> BTW, if you know of an alternative method to generate PDF files from
> docbook-xml than we use now (xml->tex->dvi->pdf), I'd be very much

Depending on the contents, but you could try
	pdflatex
simply.

One last thing, please always send logs with unfiltered output, ie no -q
for dvips etc, it helps us debugging the problems.

Ah, one more thing, can I get the sources of these documents trivially,
with all the necessary stuff, so that I can test it myself?

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
BOTLEY
The prominent stain on a man's trouser crotch seen on his return from
the lavatory. A botley proper is caused by an accident with the push
taps, and should not be confused with any stain caused by insufficient
waggling of the willy.