Issues with and after upgrade to texlive

Hi all,

Below first some thoughts on the switch to texlive in general and next a
problem I'm now seeing with the installation guide. Sorry for the length
of this post.

I was just on the point of making the switch from teTeX to TeX Live on one
system until I noticed that installing Tex Live would take a whopping
591 MB of extra diskspace if one follows aptitude...

After first upgrading only unrelated packages, things became a bit more
manageable. It turned out that unselecting a number of recommended
packages I could actually do with only 23 MB more diskspace [1], without
at first seeming to lose any important functionality.

[1] Ignoring diskspace freed by not replacing tetex-doc (61 MB) with
texlive-doc (85 MB).

At first I also had the texlive meta package unselected. Adding that back
got me back to 201 MB _extra_ diskspace again, so I've decided to see if
I can do without or not...

Next I noticed that this would still leave me without any hyphenation
support for languages the installer builds. Adding back those I currently
need resulted in 89.6 MB _extra_ diskspace again.
Note that it is rather unfortunate that these cannot be easily installed
automatically (at least without installing _a lot_ more packages by build
depending on texlive-full) as this will mean they may not be pulled in
during a lot of builds on buildds and thus no or suboptimal hyphenation
in a lot of our documentation!
I would strongly suggest introducing a meta package texlive-lang-all. Also
because depending on individual texlive-lang-* packages would mean
running the risk of missing new languages when they become available.

All in all, the upgrade is far from straightforward if you like your
system relatively clean and texlive seems incredibly more diskhungry than
tetex was.

After installing what I thought I needed (and having the dependencies from
jadetex satisfied), I tried building the installation guide, but ended up
with:
$ jadetex build.tmp/install.en.tex
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/jadetex.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

No idea what to do with this...

Some packages for which I'm not sure if I'll need them or not are:
- lmodern
- pgf
- texlive-font-utils
- texlive-fonts-extra
- texlive-generic-recommended
- texlive-generic-extra

Here is what I ended up with for now. Possibly I can still remove the
hlatex packages now.

ii  dvipdfmx                  20061211-2 A DVI to PDF translator with CJK
support
ii  hlatex-fonts-base         1.0-3.1    basic HLaTeX fonts files
ii  jadetex                   3.13-7.1   generator of printable output
from SGML or X
ii  latex-hangul-ucs-hlatex   3.1.1-4    LaTeX package to support Hangul -
HLaTeX's U
ii  texlive-base              2007-3     TeX Live: Essential programs and
files
ii  texlive-base-bin          2007-3     TeX Live: Essential binaries
ii  texlive-common            2007-3     TeX Live: Base component
ii  texlive-doc-base          2007-2     TeX Live: Base documentation
ii  texlive-fonts-recommended 2007-3     TeX Live: Recommended fonts
ii  texlive-lang-croatian     2007-3     TeX Live: Croatian
ii  texlive-lang-cyrillic     2007-3     TeX Live: Cyrillic
ii  texlive-lang-czechslovak  2007-3     TeX Live: Czech/Slovak
ii  texlive-lang-danish       2007-3     TeX Live: Danish
ii  texlive-lang-dutch        2007-3     TeX Live: Dutch
ii  texlive-lang-finnish      2007-3     TeX Live: Finnish
ii  texlive-lang-french       2007-3     TeX Live: French
ii  texlive-lang-german       2007-3     TeX Live: German
ii  texlive-lang-greek        2007-3     TeX Live: Greek typesetting
ii  texlive-lang-hungarian    2007-3     TeX Live: Hungarian
ii  texlive-lang-italian      2007-3     TeX Live: Italian
ii  texlive-lang-norwegian    2007-3     TeX Live: Norwegian
ii  texlive-lang-other        2007-3     TeX Live: Other hyphenation files
ii  texlive-lang-polish       2007-3     TeX Live: Polish
ii  texlive-lang-portuguese   2007-3     TeX Live: Portuguese
ii  texlive-lang-spanish      2007-3     TeX Live: Spanish
ii  texlive-lang-swedish      2007-3     TeX Live: Swedish
ii  texlive-lang-vietnamese   2007-3     TeX Live: Vietnamese
ii  texlive-latex-base        2007-3     TeX Live: Basic LaTeX packages
ii  texlive-latex-recommended 2007-3     TeX Live: LaTeX recommended
packages

Cheers,
FJP