Re: dh_installtexfonts is ready for testing

Hi Frank, hi all!

On Son, 16 Okt 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> > I am not the same opinion. In fact I consider these cfg files not part
> > of the font package, but only necessary for certain useful applications.
>
> This is true;  I seem to recall the case of a TeX-related program whose
> font configuration is not yet covered by updmap (dvipdfmx? something
> else?).

AFAIR *all* programs are covered by updmap, as the dvipdfm(x) programs
use the same syntax, and pdftex and dvips is anyway covered. But I may
be wrong, I never used any of the dvipdfm(x).

> > Probably an option would be to make a parameter specifying the NAME of
> > the cfg file (the part after the 10), thus th developer *can* create
> > several .cfg files by not using package.maps and calling
> > dh_installtexfonts with cmd line arguments.
> >
> > What do other think about this?
>
> Yes, I think it would be good if
>
> - the developer could divide the font map files provided by a package
>   into two or more *.cfg files
>
> - if they could add specific comments before or after some lines
>   (e.g. if one can have one catch-all line like it used to be for
>   lmodern, or several specific lines as it is now (?)).
>
> That would make a syntax
>
> dh_installtexfonts [options...] foo.cfg bar.cfg
>
> or alternatively
>
> dh_installtexfonts [options...] MixedMap=foo.map Map=bar.map

Ok, I give in, I will implement it that way (although I am still not
convinced of the option to have premade .cfg files). In fact, I slowly
get the impression that I could actually use it myself ;-)

> By the way - I didn't have time to look at the code - does
> dh_installtexfonts support the general debhelper options, as described
> in debhelper(7) and /usr/share/doc/debhelper/PROGRAMMING.gz?

Yes. AFAI see

> > Also good with me, I have moved it out into it's own branch for now, but
> > tex-common is probably a better idea, you are right.
>
> Indeed it seems overkill to have a package just for a debhelper script
> and its helper files, while tex-common is quite small and no problem as
> a build-dep.

Ok, I will move it too tex-common, and implement the stuff.

After this, we could recommend in the policy to use dh_installtexfonts
and depend on tex-common >= 0.9 or so.

sip:preining@at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
FLODIGARRY (n. Scots)
An ankle-length gabardine or oilskin tarpaulin worn by deep-sea
herring fishermen in Arbroath and publicans in Glasgow.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff