Re: dh_installtexfonts is ready for testing

> Well, I think we should settle for a recommendation for a priority.
> ALl the texlive packages ship 50, what does tetex ship? We should come
> up with a common notion how.

Agreed. I'll answer in response to Ralf's mail, which deals more
thoroughly with this question.

> I thought about something like $package.maps containing
> 	Map	foo.map
> 	MixedMap	bar.map
> 	Map	baz.map
> etc and on the cmd line you can do the same
> 	dh_installtexfonts Map foo.map MixedMap bar.map ...
> this can be handled and the code easily copied by hand from dh_link I
> guess.

IMHO, the right thing to do here is:

   dh_installtexfonts [options...] 10foo.cfg 10bar.cfg ...

or (as with most debhelper scripts), let the user (well, the packager)
list these .cfg files in a file that is looked for by your script
(package.texmapcfg or whatever less ridiculous name you can come up
with--sorry!).

The .cfg files are written by the user and you don't have to deal with
their contents. All you have to to is install them in
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/ as conffiles (cf. Debian policy if you aren't sure
what this means; this is important) and list their basenames in
/var/lib/tex-common/fontmap-cfg/package.list (in addition to the
{misc:Depends}, postinst and postrm stuff you already implemented).

update-updmap allows every package to ship *several* .cfg files in order
to tidy up the configuration for packages that ship a lot of fonts
(presumably, yours!). Please make sure your script lets this
possibility open.

> I think all the dh_scripts are directly included in debhelper package.

No. See, for instance:

% dpkg -S dh_installdefoma
defoma: /usr/bin/dh_installdefoma
defoma: /usr/share/man/man1/dh_installdefoma.1.gz

Programs that follow the same general syntax and purpose as the
debhelper scripts are allowed to be called dh_*, but they need not be
included in the debhelper package.

> I could imagine creating a deb package debhelper-texfonts which we
> could depend on and which ships only these three files. DD on the
> list, any comment to this?

If your script works well, it should IMHO be included in tex-common and
packages using it should Build-depend on tex-common.

--
Florent