Re: dh_installtexfonts is ready for testing

> Hi all!
>
> On Son, 16 Okt 2005, Florent Rougon wrote:
>> IMHO, the right thing to do here is:
>>
>>    dh_installtexfonts [options...] 10foo.cfg 10bar.cfg ...
>>
>> or (as with most debhelper scripts), let the user (well, the packager)
>> list these .cfg files in a file that is looked for by your script
>> (package.texmapcfg or whatever less ridiculous name you can come up
>> with--sorry!).
>>
>> The .cfg files are written by the user and you don't have to deal with
>> their contents. All you have to to is install them in
>
> I am not the same opinion. In fact I consider these cfg files not part
> of the font package, but only necessary for certain useful applications.

This is true;  I seem to recall the case of a TeX-related program whose
font configuration is not yet covered by updmap (dvipdfmx? something
else?).

> But there is a more severe reason: I want to be sure that the
> MagicComment always occur in the .cfg file, which I cannot be sure if
> the developer suplies the config file.

We should really verify that the MagicComment is there.  If we want the
packager to be able to provide a pre-taylored .cfg file,
dh_installtexfonts should check whether the comment is there, and fail
(or add it) if it isn't.

> Probably an option would be to make a parameter specifying the NAME of
> the cfg file (the part after the 10), thus th developer *can* create
> several .cfg files by not using package.maps and calling
> dh_installtexfonts with cmd line arguments.
>
> What do other think about this?

Yes, I think it would be good if

- the developer could divide the font map files provided by a package
  into two or more *.cfg files

- if they could add specific comments before or after some lines
  (e.g. if one can have one catch-all line like it used to be for
  lmodern, or several specific lines as it is now (?)).

That would make a syntax

dh_installtexfonts [options...] foo.cfg bar.cfg

or alternatively

dh_installtexfonts [options...] MixedMap=foo.map Map=bar.map

By the way - I didn't have time to look at the code - does
dh_installtexfonts support the general debhelper options, as described
in debhelper(7) and /usr/share/doc/debhelper/PROGRAMMING.gz?

>> If your script works well, it should IMHO be included in tex-common and
>> packages using it should Build-depend on tex-common.
>
> Also good with me, I have moved it out into it's own branch for now, but
> tex-common is probably a better idea, you are right.

Indeed it seems overkill to have a package just for a debhelper script
and its helper files, while tex-common is quite small and no problem as
a build-dep.