Re: tetex-base: Why does it depend on texinfo?

On 10.05.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:
> > On 10.05.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:

Hi,

> >> I would say: A comment is a comment. We can add a "needs texinfo".
> >>
> > OK, agreed.
>
> Looking at Bug #61990, it seems as if this format was enabled by
> default back then. Why should one manually enable this format when
> he doesn't want texinfo?

Well, Christoph could have closed that bug with the same arguments at
this time. Actually I don't know, why he put in the dep. on texinfo.

> > If we do that, we can simply swap over the entry in fmt.d/00...cnf to
> > texinfo, document that in the changlog and we're done. It would have
> > the same consequences: texinfo would have to build formats, etc...
> > see my previous mail.
>
> I don't quite understand. If you just install texinfo without tetex, it
> won't try to do anything with this format. If you additionally install
> tetex, still nothing will happen.

If that entry is commented in tetex will build the format files for
that format.

> If you enable the cyrtexinfo format by changing our or their
> fmt.d/XX..cnf, the format will be created by fmtutil.

Yes.

> If texinfo updates its files, the format will not be regenerated,
> although it perhaps should be. But that is just how it is now.

I guess texinfo.tex is read during running texinfo (don't know for
that special format). I guess, it should be enough if the formats
match to the TeX-compiler.

> Therefore, if we simply drop the dependency,
>
> - nothing will change for users who have yet an installed system
>   (because texinfo is yet there)
>
> - nothing will change for users who install new and don't need the
>   format
>
> - new installing users who need the format will have to install texinfo
>   additionally, and will have to find out this themselves (or, rather,
>   from our Recommends entry). I don't think this is too hard.

Your seggested comment (% need texinfo to build that format) will be
helpful.

> Thus, I suggest moving texinfo from Depends to Recommends anyway, and
> asking Josip Rodin about the file swwapping as a separate issue.

Agreed.

H.
--
"Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained."