Re: tetex-base: Why does it depend on texinfo?

On 10.05.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

Hi,

> > This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
> >  `tex -ini  -jobname=cyrtexinfo -progname=cyrtexinfo cyrtxinf.ini'
> > failed
> >
> > Do we have to support every possible configuration?
>
> No. I would not say that we need to support every possible
> configuration. If we wanted to, we would also never be able to
> split off some (exotic, advanced, or standalone-usable) formats off
> from tetex-base. Or rather we would make the splitting senseless by
> depending on the split-off package.
>
> I would say: A comment is a comment. We can add a "needs texinfo".

OK, agreed.

> Would it help to remove cyrtxinf.ini from tetex-base and add it to the
> texinfo package?

It would:

Script started on Mon May 10 13:07:36 2004
drachi:~# mkdir tmp
drachi:~# mv /usr/share/texmf/tex/cyrplain/config/cyrtxinf.ini tmp
drachi:~# texhash
texhash: Updating /root/.texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R.local...
texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...
texhash: Done.
drachi:~# fmtutil --all

running `mf-nowin -ini   -jobname=mf -progname=mf mf.ini' ...
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.4.5) (INIMF)
(/usr/share/texmf/metafont/config/mf.ini
(/usr/share/texmf/metafont/base/plain.mf
<big snip>
No pages of output.
Transcript written on mptopdf.log.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/lambda.oft installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/omega.oft installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/amstex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdftex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/tex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/cont-en.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/elatex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/etex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mptopdf.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdfelatex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdfetex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/metafun.mem installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mpost.mem installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mf.base installed.
drachi:~#
Script done on Mon May 10 13:09:22 2004

If we do that, we can simply swap over the entry in fmt.d/00...cnf to
texinfo, document that in the changlog and we're done. It would have
the same consequences: texinfo would have to build formats, etc...
see my previous mail.

> > Did anybody ever tried out, if all formats can be build^1?
>  [...]
>
> > ^1 Did so, they don't:
> >
> [...]
> > Same for pdfetex. These are clearly upstream bugs, we should forward
> > to Thomas. I didn't check teTeX-beta.
>
> The format names have changed somewhat, because nearly everything now
> uses pdfetex without e's in the format name (e.g. pdfmex-pl instead of
> pdfemex-pl). But it seems it's the same there:
>
> ! pdfetex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).
>
> This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
> `pdfetex -ini -translate-file=il2-pl -jobname=pdfmex-pl -progname=pdfmex-pl *pdfmex.ini' failed
> alhambra:/#
>
> I don't know, however, if it is possible at all to build all
> formats with the same configuration.

This is an error message about an non-matching pool-file. We should
report that to T.E.

H.
--
The human mind treats a new idea the way the body treats a strange
protein -- it rejects it.