Re: tetex-base: Why does it depend on texinfo?

On 09.05.04 Hilmar Preusse (hille42@web.de) wrote:
> On 08.05.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:

Hi,

> > since the birth of our CVS tetex-base depends on texinfo (>=
> > 4.0b-1). Does anybody know whether this is really needed? I suspect that
> > it should rather be a Conflicts: texinfo (< 4.0b-1), since texinfo's
> > changelog.Debian says:
> >
> > ,----
> > | texinfo (4.0b-1) unstable; urgency=low

> > |   * Removed epsf.tex from this package because tetex already ships it,
> > |     closes: #84426. The duplicate file problem didn't appear before because
> > |     previous versions put the file in a different location. Maybe we're
> > |     just making a mess of this.
> > `----
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> tetex-base (1.0.2+20000804-4) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * tetex-base depends on texinfo because of cyrtxinf (closes: #61990)
>
>  -- Christoph Martin <christoph.martin@uni-mainz.de>  Sun, 10 Dec 2000 15:25:35

We need texinfo to run the postin of tetex-extra to build the format
(and only that) for cyrtexinfo. Without it:

drachi:~# cd /var/lib/texmf/web2c/
drachi:/var/lib/texmf/web2c# grep texinfo *.log
drachi:/var/lib/texmf/web2c#

and

drachi:~# dpkg --force-depends --purge texinfo
dpkg: texinfo: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 tetex-base depends on texinfo (>= 4.0b-1).
(Reading database ... 19483 files and directories currently
installed.)
Removing texinfo ...
drachi:~#

-> fmtutil --all runs smooth on a full tetex-installation.

As soon as I comment in that cyrtexinfo in
/etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf it fails.

This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
 `tex -ini  -jobname=cyrtexinfo -progname=cyrtexinfo cyrtxinf.ini'
failed

Do we have to support every possible configuration? Did anybody ever
tried out, if all formats can be build^1? Should we swap over the
generation of that special format to texinfo (it would have to depend
on tetex-bin (-extra?) then)? Well, texinfo could check for
update-fmtutil und fmtutil and call them, if they exist.

H.

^1 Did so, they don't:

This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
`pdfetex -ini -jobname=cont-cz -progname=context *cont-cz.ini' failed
------------------
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/skhyph.tex
! This file can be used only in babelised formats!.
l.9 ...ile can be used only in babelised formats!}

?
! Emergency stop.
l.9 ...ile can be used only in babelised formats!}
------------------

`pdftex -ini -translate-file=il2-pl -jobname=pdfmex-pl -progname=pdfmex-pl pdfmex.ini' failed
`pdfetex -ini -translate-file=il2-pl -jobname=pdfemex-pl -progname=pdfemex-pl *pdfemex.ini' failed

drachi:/# fmtutil --byfmt pdfemex-pl
fmtutil: attempting to create localized format using pool=pdfetex-pl and tcx=il2-pl.
running `pdfetex -ini  -translate-file=il2-pl -jobname=pdfemex-pl -progname=pdfemex-pl *pdfemex.ini' ...
! pdfetex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).
Error: `pdfetex -ini -translate-file=il2-pl -jobname=pdfemex-pl -progname=pdfemex-pl *pdfemex.ini' failed

Same for pdfetex. These are clearly upstream bugs, we should forward
to Thomas. I didn't check teTeX-beta.

H.
--
If life is merely a joke, the question still remains: for whose amusement?
  http://hilmarpreusse.forum-rheinland.de/