Re: openoffice should be provided.

On 04/15/2012 11:00 PM, dE . wrote:

------------------------8<------------------------
> That's a heavenly situation at your place.

It is, indeed. Only those very few who actually prefer the MS products
are using them. And they get a lot of good-natured ribbing about it, too.

------------------------8<------------------------

> You're using libreoffice (backports ) in production environments?
>
> Also there's a plugin via which open odf in MS office.

The users are scientific users on a wide area network with lots of
experience in Unix and big iron over the decades. They hardly ever need
any assistance from me for client support -- and then its because of
"new-fangled Linux stuff" (with which I'm barely more familiar than they
are). I just take care of a few centrally located servers they use. And,
yes, most of them are using LibreOffice, but under Debian testing or
other distros of their own choosing. If they're running into issues,
they're not saying anything about it. They're pretty adventuresome and
adept at finding workarounds when they need them. (Probably a lot better
at it than I am.)

There are a few other people who work mostly on the in-house publishing
end. They tend to use everything from MacOS to Windows versions of
various ages, with a few of the hardier souls using Debian stable or
Ubuntu. Another guy has to help them, as they're mostly located in
another part of the country.

I'm essentially being paid for indulging in a hobby. And the whole
system is more-or-less a hobby for the end users. It's funded by a
couple of think-tanks and the scientific staff themselves, and the
atmosphere is almost unbelievably laid-back. A production environment it
may be, but definitely not in the modern bean-counter sense. It's like a
giant collection of scratch-pads filled with doodles, really.

------------------------8<------------------------

> Impossible, these bugs exist for over a year, and a lot are remaining.

Yeah, I'm beginning to get that idea. I also get the idea that the
Debian maintainers went with LibreOffice as much to be supportive of the
effort to separate from Oracle as for any other reason. I haven't paid a
lot of attention to the political discussion, though.

------------------------8<------------------------

re Debian testing

> No. But I give testing for personal use -- it's a good choice.

As you may have gathered, I don't deploy anything -- except on the
server side. Virtually every "end user" in this outfit can take care of
herself / himself better than I can. I just mind the central "collection
of marbles". It's not anything fancy at all. If something needs to
change here, I just let them know about it in advance, and they do
whatever they need to do to get ready for it. I may field a question or
two a month, and that's that for my end user support duties. If they
need a new capability, they research it with me, we agree on an
implementation, the funds are provided, and I have the host company take
care of the physical setup.

I am, now that you mention it, actually sort of in heaven now. (I did
use to manage an actual manufacturing -- as in a real production
environment -- Active Directly network, so I do know that the opposite
of heaven looks like.)

I'm hoping you'll get some sort of resolution to this issue.

Best regards,
Gilbert