Re: openoffice should be provided.

On 04/15/2012 10:45 AM, dE . wrote:
> On 04/15/12 19:41, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>> On 04/15/2012 05:36 AM, dE . wrote:
>>> I was wondering if the latest openoffice (3.3) be provided following the
>>> major regressions since the libreoffice fork (I think the total no. of
>>> bugs has increased). OOo is more stable and reliable.
>> My 2 cents on this would be that the Debian maintainers / community have
>> decided to go with LibreOffice for lots of good reasons.
>>
>> And, this is "testing", after all. The idea, I suppose, is that we -- as
>> testers -- get to look at the (almost) latest and greatest and use bug
>> reports as needed to report our experiences with the packages in
>> testing. Occasional breakage is expected. But the hope is that the kinks
>> get worked out in the process so that, when the present testing version
>> is ready to go stable, it's -- well, stable.
>>
>> Those who have stability / reliability of the software as their priority
>> should probably be using the current stable rather than the testing
>> version of Debian. And there's the alternative of simply using testing
>> but obtaining OpenOffice from outside the standard repository. That way,
>> testing gets used for what it was designed for, and you get to have the
>> office applications you prefer.
>>
>> But I believe that the idea of maintaining stable needs to remain
>> consistent with it being supplied with applications that sit kind of
>> close to the bleeding edge. (And, of course, there's unstable and
>> experimental for those who don't mind the odd hemorrhage, now and then.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Gilbert
>>

> I was wondering about this cause testing will be frozen in 2 months.
>
> Yes, obviously, if the PMs refuse to package it, then I'll be
> downloading the static portable builds form somewhere.

Oops! I'm sorry I miss-stated what I meant in my last paragraph above. I
should have said that "the idea of maintaining *testing* needs to remain
consistent..."

And, yes, concerning getting OpenOffice from somewhere, I suppose that
enabling an outside repository for OpenOffice for use with testing might
have its drawbacks, as opposed to using a static portable build. One
moving target at a time is probably enough. At least it certainly would
be for me.

I'm afraid my use of office applications of any type is not likely to be
advanced enough -- or unusual enough -- to have me running into most of
the bugs I've seen listed.

Maybe you just need to be more simple-minded -- like me!

;-)

Best regards,
Gilbert