Re: openoffice should be provided.

On 04/15/2012 11:16 AM, dE . wrote:
--------------------------8<--------------------------

> I'm facing problems with deployments. That's why.
>
> Libreoffice can't open a lot of doc, ppt, docx and pptx files... this's
> a very common feature exploited. Also it corrupts pptx. Closing the find
> toolbar (via the x button) twice crashes libreoffice.
>
> Otherwise, if you're looking at advanced features... a lot are broken.

Ouch! Yeah, we're practically all FOSS where I'm at -- or at least those
who are are predominant enough in numbers that it's the MS Office users
who have to save in a format to suit us, in the very unusual case where
one of them needs to send a document to us.

I can see how these issues would be a headache for someone trying to
deploy the upcoming stable release -- assuming they're not fixed by
release time. But the freeze will probably happen a long time
(relatively speaking) before Wheezy is actually released as stable. With
any luck the important bugs, like the ones irking you, will have been
squashed. (?)

Or are you trying to deploy testing right now to end users? If so, you
are a braver soul than I. It's hard enough to support a stable release
with end users. That's a set of shoes I don't (usually) have to fill,
and I don't envy those who do.

Best regards,
Gilbert