Re: openoffice should be provided.

On 04/15/12 19:41, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
On 04/15/2012 05:36 AM, dE . wrote:
I was wondering if the latest openoffice (3.3) be provided following the
major regressions since the libreoffice fork (I think the total no. of
bugs has increased). OOo is more stable and reliable.
My 2 cents on this would be that the Debian maintainers / community have
decided to go with LibreOffice for lots of good reasons.

And, this is "testing", after all. The idea, I suppose, is that we -- as
testers -- get to look at the (almost) latest and greatest and use bug
reports as needed to report our experiences with the packages in
testing. Occasional breakage is expected. But the hope is that the kinks
get worked out in the process so that, when the present testing version
is ready to go stable, it's -- well, stable.

Those who have stability / reliability of the software as their priority
should probably be using the current stable rather than the testing
version of Debian. And there's the alternative of simply using testing
but obtaining OpenOffice from outside the standard repository. That way,
testing gets used for what it was designed for, and you get to have the
office applications you prefer.

But I believe that the idea of maintaining stable needs to remain
consistent with it being supplied with applications that sit kind of
close to the bleeding edge. (And, of course, there's unstable and
experimental for those who don't mind the odd hemorrhage, now and then.

Best regards,
Gilbert

I was wondering about this cause testing will be frozen in 2 months.

Yes, obviously, if the PMs refuse to package it, then I'll be downloading the static portable builds form somewhere.