Re: what's up with xterm?

Clearly a postinst prompt is a good way to resolve this issue.  I will add
one to the next test build of X (with a mouthful of a version nunber --
3.3.2.3a-8pre9v1).

What terminal type would you like to use for the xterm program?
For more information, read /usr/doc/xterm/README.Debian.
  1. xterm-debian (default)
  2. xterm-xfree86
  3. xterm
Please enter the number of the terminal type you desire (1/2/3) [1]?

If 1 (or just ENTER), the postinst will leave things as they are.

If 2, the postinst will echo "XTerm.termName: xterm-xfree86" >>
/etc/X11/Xresources/xterm.

If 3, the postinst will echo "XTerm.termName: xterm" >>
/etc/X11/Xresources/xterm.

There are two reasons we're having this acrimonious debate:
  1) xterm does not have general flexibility with its key layout
     (xmodmap is well and good, but it doesn't affect VT100.Translations,
      which what we really want to mess with in xterm)
  2) XFree86's version of xterm has forked from the Open Group's

Obviously, if someone were willing to appropriately modify and improve the
xterm source code, we could drop this whole terminal type business.

Any takers?  I'd be delighted to get this albatross off my neck.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |      One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                 |      engineering.  "Supernatural" is a