Re: what's up with xterm?

Brandon Mitchell scripsit:
|Thanks Branden.  I relize that there is a lot of good from having $TERM
|default to xterm-debian.  I think I'll add wrappers to my remote login
|commands to change xterm-debian to xterm on my next build and leave the
|default as is.  However, for the new users, perhaps it would be good to
|ask them which sort of problems they would prefer during the xterm
|installation.  How difficult would this be?

I am sorry but how on Earth am I supposed to add wrappers to every
user's remote account which, in a University is liable to span all
continents, operating systems and languages? Also remember that these
people are for the greatest part not highly computer literate,
i.e. "What is a .profile?" is a standard question.

Objectively the default should be that remote logins work, full stop.

How can I hand around a Debian 2.1 for people to install with some
peace of mind? I would have to explain to every one of them to change
to their settings (incidentally, the location of the defaults file has
changed between 2.0 and 2.1, is this wise for a minor version?)?

I understand that there was loads of discussion and, as correctly
pointed out by Branden there is a lot of ignorance, including mine, but
can we please stop a second and think about more far-fetching
consequences than the local machine and our own personal accounts? I
have rooms of terminals running Debian... Do we really have to answer
millions of `Why does it say "unknown terminal type"?' questions?
Shouldn't the default be that it works and the "smart user's option"
the super-duper xterm-debian option?

Incidentally, we might have abandoned the XFree86 xterm but this new
one for sure isn't doing well with visual bell, at least on my
systems.

Please do consider not only making a system which "complies with the
Debian Backspace policy" but also which works with the rest of the
world. Or are we trying to copy the M$ "extend and embrace"
technology?

Arrigo

--
Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo@ic.ac.uk>, http://www.ma.ic.ac.uk/~agbt
Mathematics Dept. Imperial College of Science & Technology - London - UK