Re: Starting up Debian on a T5120

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 01:41:01PM +0100, James Clarke wrote:
> > https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian
>
> zfs-initramfs, along with zfs-dkms and various other packages, are arch:all and
> thus should be installable normally with apt if you added the sources entries
> like I said.  It's only the userland tools and libraries that come as
> arch-specific packages and therefore needed to be built by you.

  Ahh.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I presumed "zfs-dkms" meant kernel
modules, therefore clearly not arch independant.  Though, it looks like I
have problems along the path.  When trying to install the built modules,
it skipped compiling kernel modules because I didn't have headers.  Installing
linux-headers-sparc64-smp, then trying to install the locally built .debs
again, it proceeded well, and seemed to build kernel modules for spl.  But,
later in the same "apt install" running, failed to build zfs DKMS modules:

Setting up zfs-dkms (0.7.6-1) ...
Building for 4.16.0-1-sparc64-smp
Building initial module for 4.16.0-1-sparc64-smp
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.16.0-1-sparc64-smp (sparc64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.6/build/make.log for more information.

Looking in that log file, there are a small number of incompatible pointer type
errors:

/usr/src/linux-headers-4.16.0-1-common/include/linux/posix_acl.h:45:16: error: passing argument 1 of ‘refcount_inc’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
   refcount_inc(&acl->a_refcount);
[...]
/var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.6/build/include/linux/vfs_compat.h:288:26: error: passing argument 2 of ‘atomic_sub_return’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  if (atomic_dec_and_test(&acl->a_refcount))

and a few others.  I don't know if I should try to rejigger it to not error on
that condition, or if this indicates some problem.  I'd like to hear from others
that have built linux kernel modules on sparc64 if they have any idea...

> > [...]  And, I don't know much about
> > grub vs silo vs anything else that Linux uses to boot.
>
> Do you know which you're using?

  As I have silo [package] installed, and not grub, I assume I'm using silo.
Silo won't let me boot from ZFS?

> I believe switching to grub is as simple as:
> 1. apt install grub2
> 2. grub-install --skip-fs-probe --force /dev/sdX
>
> though it's been a while since I had to deal with that process.
>
> >  Hopefully someone else has some more pointers for me at this point.  Thank
> > you much for these!

  Looking forward to more feedback from folks, I think I'm stalled trying to
get ZFS kernel modules at the moment.  Thanks all!

                  - Chris