Re: Starting up Debian on a T5120

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 07:14:16PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> The problem here, again, is that sparc64 is part of Debian Ports which
> doesn't build any packages from the "contrib" and "non-free" distributions.

  Ahh.  So the zfs-dkms is contrib or non-free, so doesn't get built?  Okay.
There will probably be a number of other things that will fall into that,
what's a good way to know if something is not available for that reason?

> I think this is an issue we can get resolved once we have replaced "mini-DAK"
> with "DAK" in Debian Ports (the software that maintains the FTP server
> archive contents). But that's a long-time project.

  Okay.  And one that I don't have the context to understand, but don't need
to for now.

> Just apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade should be enough.
>
> Let us know if there are any issues with the dist-upgrade.

  Doing that now.  360+ packages being upgraded...

  It failed to update initramfs-tools, because it ran out of space in my /boot.
I ran autoremove (getting rid of 4.14.0-3) and it was able to complete.

  Then, apt dist-upgrade found nothing to do.  So, I'm up to date.  Do you have
a pointer to a guide of how to build the ZFS kernel modules, and what will need
to be done to get it into the boot system so I can boot off of a ZFS vol?
(presumably a zmirror, which is how I've been doing it on other systems)
Then, do I need to generate a new install CD so that I can get that all
installed onto the disks that now have ext volumnes on them?

  Thanks!

           - Chris