Re: Starting up Debian on a T5120

On 4 May 2018, at 20:34, Chris Ross <cross+debian@distal.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 07:14:16PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> The problem here, again, is that sparc64 is part of Debian Ports which
>> doesn't build any packages from the "contrib" and "non-free" distributions.
>
>  Ahh.  So the zfs-dkms is contrib or non-free, so doesn't get built?  Okay.
> There will probably be a number of other things that will fall into that,
> what's a good way to know if something is not available for that reason?

Probably to search for it on packages.debian.org and see if it says
"contrib" or "non-free".

>> I think this is an issue we can get resolved once we have replaced "mini-DAK"
>> with "DAK" in Debian Ports (the software that maintains the FTP server
>> archive contents). But that's a long-time project.
>
>  Okay.  And one that I don't have the context to understand, but don't need
> to for now.

The details really don't matter, other than that mini-DAK is an
extremely-simplified implementation of parts of DAK and thus lacks useful
features.

>> Just apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade should be enough.
>>
>> Let us know if there are any issues with the dist-upgrade.
>
>  Doing that now.  360+ packages being upgraded...
>
>  It failed to update initramfs-tools, because it ran out of space in my /boot.
> I ran autoremove (getting rid of 4.14.0-3) and it was able to complete.
>
>  Then, apt dist-upgrade found nothing to do.  So, I'm up to date.  Do you have
> a pointer to a guide of how to build the ZFS kernel modules, and what will need
> to be done to get it into the boot system so I can boot off of a ZFS vol?
> (presumably a zmirror, which is how I've been doing it on other systems)
> Then, do I need to generate a new install CD so that I can get that all
> installed onto the disks that now have ext volumnes on them?

For building, I imagine the way to do it is:

1. Add:
       deb [arch=all] http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable contrib non-free
       deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
   to your sources.list (or another mirror of your choice), so you can get the
   arch:all .debs from the main archive (note /debian rather than /debian-ports),
   as well as the sources. Also note that there's no "main" component listed for
   the first entry.

2. apt update

3. apt source zfs-linux

4. apt build-dep zfs-linux

5. cd zfs-linux-0.7.6

6. dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -B

You should then have all the sparc64 .debs in the parent directory which you can
install with "apt install /path/to/foo.deb".

As far as booting goes, I have no idea. I'm almost certain you'd need to be using
grub not silo, but beyond that your prior experience likely means you know more
than me. Generating installer images is awkward, so it may just be easiest to clone
your system to a new ZFS volume, boot to that and then reclaim the ext4 space.
Perhaps there's a better way that someone here knows?

James