Re: Booting an LDOM (can't find kernel)

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:12:46PM -0400, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
> On 2016-07-26 20:48, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> >firmware is outdated...
>
> I would say this is most likely, i've run into issues with this in the
> past. I don't think oracle specifies a minimum version to run oracle
> linux, but i know OpenBSD does require newer firmware in order to run in
> an ldom.

TBH, i'd never considered this since the person who gave me the Sparcs said
the firmware was updated to latest and that seemed to be true from the brief
reading i'd done on the documentation. Here's what /SP shows:

system_description = SPARC-Enterprise-T5120, ILOM v3.0.12.4.y, r77080

This is supposed to be "good enough" to run OpenBSD as the primary and it has
been for the most part. With these machines, we see strange issues sometimes
like the ldoms becoming unresponsive, requiring a `reset /SYS' to get working
again, or garbled console output, requiring the same fix. There's also a very
annoying issue wherein i can hardcode the MAC address in the ldom config, the
ldom will get an address from the DHCP server, but be unable to route any
traffic through the NAT. The same network and device configuration has no
problem when the MAC addresses aren't hardcoded. Strange, but not sure if this
is OpenBSD related or what yet.

Anatoly showed me his firmware is newer, so i'm going to see if an upgrade can
fix some of these problems.