Re: Booting an LDOM (can't find kernel)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 12:40:31PM +0300, Stanislav Kholmanskikh wrote:

> There is an "issue". In order to let the kernel use the ldom console you
> need to pass 'console=ttyHV0' (or do not pass any 'console=' at all),
> not 'console=ttyS0'. But the file corresponding to this device is still
> /dev/ttyS0.
>
> Please, have a look at this thread:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&m=128984904112418&w=2
>
> In particular, these steps should bring you the shell's prompt on the
> ldom console:
>
> telnet 127.0.0.1 5020
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to 127.0.0.1.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> Connecting to console "skholman-test4" in group "skholman-test4" ....
> Press ~? for control options ..
>
> #. ?
> {0} ok boot disk bla
> Boot device: /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/disk@0  File and
> args: bla
> SILO Version 1.4.14
>
> Your imagename `bla' and arguments `' have either wrong syntax,
> or describe a label which is not present in silo.conf
> Type `help' at the boot: prompt if you need it and then try again.
>
> boot: Linux console=ttyHV0 init=/bin/sh
>
> Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
> /bin/sh: 0: can't access tty; job control turned off
> # ls -l /dev/ttyS0
> crw------- 1 root root 4, 64 Jul 27 05:23 /dev/ttyS0
> # echo Hello > /dev/ttyS0
> Hello
> #
>
> So my take is that if one setups systemd to always start a getty on
> /dev/ttyS0, the login prompt will be shown on the ldom console when
> Debian is booted with or without 'console=ttyHV0' on the cmdline.

This was very interesting. I was able to boot using:

append="console=ttyHV0,115200,8n1 init=/bin/sh"

and use "cu -l ttyV6" from the host to connect, as i do with other ldoms. It
looks like single user mode though. Without the "init=/bin/sh" bit, i get one
line further "[  OK  ] Started Daily apt activities." which sits there for a
while and returns no console prompt (unless i exhausted patience before then).