Re: Booting an LDOM (can't find kernel)

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 06:03:13PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Oh, yeah. That part as well, I forgot about that. SILO has to be on a ext2
> or ext3 partition and /etc/silo.conf is usually located on this partition.
>
> Btw, the awesome guys at Oracle have prepared some patches for GRUB2 which
> add SPARC support to GRUB so that we can switch to GRUB2 in the future
> which make the boot process more robust. Unfortunately, GRUB2 upstream
> is currently not very active, so these patches have not been merged yet.

If any Debian developers or package managers want access to this LDOM on a
T5120, i'd be glad to provide it to help further the effort. My interest is in
testing pkgsrc on Debian/sparc and intend to get regular bulk builds going if
possible.

> When asked for a mirror, use:
>
> * http://ftp.ports.debian.org
>
> with the directory:
>
> * /debian-ports/
>
> You still need to skip "Select and install software" though since
> the package "debian-ports-archive-keyring" is missing in the target
> system. You can, however, do that later once the system has rebooted
> after the installation.

Thanks for your help. Somehow, i made it through the install after selecting
just the base utilities. The ldom has booted although it hangs on "Started
Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes". Here's the dmesg:

http://cossus.ca/debian.txt

Overall, this seems to be a big improvement over wheezy, as it couldn't find
the vdisks as all when booting from the install image. It would be nice to see
official support for sparc again in the next release, as it seems to have come
a long way.