Re: Running applications remotely on headless SPARC box

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 09:41 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
On 09/18/2012 09:13 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 22:09 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
[...]

I guess that I will need to have the X server enabled on both client and
server machines however, since my V210 doesn't have a GPU only the
serial console what are my options?
Not necessarily but you will need some of the X libraries installed so
you have xhost and similar.  I don't recall which packages are needed
(they may be included in the suggested packages for openssh) but
installing xterm was sufficient last time I ran into a problem like
this.
Thanks Martin for the suggestions....

I was actually trying to get /usr/bin/startkde working as a remote desktop equivalent to running XDMCP.

I'm not sure I've ever seen window manager / desktop environment run
over X forwarding.  The normal usecase is running individual
applications.

I agree. I've definitely run the desktop/window_manager as remote X (via XDMCP, and almost always relying on gdm) and I've run it over VNC.

I've just tried running /usr/bin/startkde via SSH, and it comes back with "KDE seems to be already running on this display.". My recollection is that the window manager is granted additional privileges from the POV of X and you can only have one per display, so (@OP) in the general case I'm afraid you're out of luck.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk