Re: Running applications remotely on headless SPARC box

On 09/18/2012 09:13 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 22:09 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
[...]

I guess that I will need to have the X server enabled on both client and
server machines however, since my V210 doesn't have a GPU only the
serial console what are my options?
Not necessarily but you will need some of the X libraries installed so
you have xhost and similar.  I don't recall which packages are needed
(they may be included in the suggested packages for openssh) but
installing xterm was sufficient last time I ran into a problem like
this.

Thanks Martin for the suggestions....

I was actually trying to get /usr/bin/startkde working as a remote desktop equivalent to running XDMCP.

My main emphasis has been to try to integrate remote X11 with Sun Microsystems (Oracle) VDI solution; which on SPARC platform means Sun Ray Server Software and Secure Global Desktop.

I managed to get X11 forwarding up and running which is all fine now on my Sun Ray.

However, I think I will start exploring telnet with X11 forwarding and perhaps even rsh and rexec for less CPU overhead induced by SSH which continuously needs to encrypt/decrypt the data stream.

I just wish that there was some kind of easy integration for both X and audio between Solaris 10 and Debian. The good side about Solaris 10 is integration, the bad side, it's over 10 years old and without running third party packages from sunfreeware/opencsw/blastwave the applications for it are pretty limited and compiling things isn't that easy at times (hence power of Linux for desktop usage).

Can anyone suggest anything or help?
Try running ssh with -v, -vv, -vvv, etc. as it gives some very useful
(and verbose output), also check the logs on the server as some errors
are not given to the client for security reasons.

HTH

Cheers,
  - Martin

Regards,