Re: Running applications remotely on headless SPARC box

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 09:41 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 09:13 AM, Martin wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 22:09 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
> > [...]
> >

> > I guess that I will need to have the X server enabled on both client and
> > server machines however, since my V210 doesn't have a GPU only the
> > serial console what are my options?
> > Not necessarily but you will need some of the X libraries installed so
> > you have xhost and similar.  I don't recall which packages are needed
> > (they may be included in the suggested packages for openssh) but
> > installing xterm was sufficient last time I ran into a problem like
> > this.
>
> Thanks Martin for the suggestions....
>
> I was actually trying to get /usr/bin/startkde working as a remote
> desktop equivalent to running XDMCP.

I'm not sure I've ever seen window manager / desktop environment run
over X forwarding.  The normal usecase is running individual
applications.

> My main emphasis has been to try to integrate remote X11 with Sun
> Microsystems (Oracle) VDI solution; which on SPARC platform means Sun
> Ray Server Software and Secure Global Desktop.
>
> I managed to get X11 forwarding up and running which is all fine now on
> my Sun Ray.
>

> However, I think I will start exploring telnet with X11 forwarding and
> perhaps even rsh and rexec for less CPU overhead induced by SSH which
> continuously needs to encrypt/decrypt the data stream.

SSH is probably a lot less hassel and CPU usage tends to be pretty low.
The persistent connection options might help.

> I just wish that there was some kind of easy integration for both X and
> audio between Solaris 10 and Debian. The good side about Solaris 10 is
> integration, the bad side, it's over 10 years old and without running
> third party packages from sunfreeware/opencsw/blastwave the applications
> for it are pretty limited and compiling things isn't that easy at times
> (hence power of Linux for desktop usage).

There was something called 'network audio', maybe NAS (network audio
server) which was intended for forwarding sound to remote X clients.
You also might want to look at nxproxy and nomachine's other software.

Cheers,
 - Martin