Re: Running applications remotely on headless SPARC box

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 22:09 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use one of my V210's as an application server however,
> there is an issue while using X11 forwarding.
>
> I have enabled X11_forwarding under /etc/ssh/sshd_config however,
> whenever I try to start an application from my x86 box remotely using:
>
> ssh -X or ssh -Y
>
> I get presented with "cannot connect to X server".
>

> I guess that I will need to have the X server enabled on both client and
> server machines however, since my V210 doesn't have a GPU only the
> serial console what are my options?

Not necessarily but you will need some of the X libraries installed so
you have xhost and similar.  I don't recall which packages are needed
(they may be included in the suggested packages for openssh) but
installing xterm was sufficient last time I ran into a problem like
this.

> Can anyone suggest anything or help?
Try running ssh with -v, -vv, -vvv, etc. as it gives some very useful
(and verbose output), also check the logs on the server as some errors
are not given to the client for security reasons.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin