Re: Running applications remotely on headless SPARC box

On 09/18/2012 10:05 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 22:09 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use one of my V210's as an application server however, there is an issue while using X11 forwarding.

I have enabled X11_forwarding under /etc/ssh/sshd_config however, whenever I try to start an application from my x86 box remotely using:

ssh -X or ssh -Y

I get presented with "cannot connect to X server".

I guess that I will need to have the X server enabled on both client and server machines however, since my V210 doesn't have a GPU only the serial console what are my options?

Not necessarily but you will need some of the X libraries installed so
you have xhost and similar.  I don't recall which packages are needed
(they may be included in the suggested packages for openssh) but
installing xterm was sufficient last time I ran into a problem like
this.

I routinely run headless on several architectures, but have held off commenting since I'm on comparatively old versions of Linux (Etch through Squeezy) and don't have recent Sun hardware. I normally install the KDE variant of Debian, then install ssh, gdm (since its XDMCP support works, might need a tweak in the config file), xterm and a VNC server; that allows me to use a local console (if one exists), remote X, X over SSH, or VNC. As they say, "it just works".

Thanks Mark.

I think the comments are 100% valid.....

I managed to get XDMCP working many years ago running Debian Etch on an old PIII machine while the client was a PIV also running Etch I believe.

Since due to today's economy and the way IT is headed everyone is getting more Cloud happy and x64 based virtualization is the new biggest thing "since French bread" I thought it would be a good idea to setup a lab and start experimenting with integrating systems so that basically there are no limits to what can be done (bar my finances and space!).

Older generation operating systems work really well and the hardest thing is to get 'bleeding edge' systems to play nice - Fedora 17, Debian Squeeze, Ubuntu 12.x+, etc.....

The good thing is that I can always count on Linux being the preferred system for user facing client systems as the software pallet and supported hardware is huge.

Regards,

Kaya