Re: Sun Leo (ZX)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 02:41:25PM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Martin Habets wrote:
> >Does the kernel detect the card when booting? You should see something
> >like the following when booting:
> >/sbus@2,0/SUNW,leo@2,0: leo at x:x
> >Also you should have leo ranges in /proc/iomem and /proc/ioport.
>
> Ahhh... no, I don't see that in dmsg or anything in those proc files. I can
> see the driver enabled in .config and I think that I'm running the
> appropriate kernel but it's obvious that I need to go and check.

Looking in drivers/video/leo.c leo_init() I see
        if (fb_get_options("leofb", NULL))
which leads me to suggest booting with option 'video=leofb:on'.

> Am I correct in interpreting what you've said as meaning that X's "No
> devices detected" actually means "I'm not seeing the appropriate device
> support in the kernel"?

That's one option. It could also be the wrong device was specified in the
Xconfig.

> >Seems this driver creates a normal fb device. Make sure you have /dev/fb0
> >and/or /dev/fb0autodetect.
> >You could try the fbdev X driver:
> >       Driver          "fbdev"
> >without specifying a BusID.
> >
> >This is just to see if it detects a device. If it does the issue is with
> >the
> >leo X driver. If it does not my guess it more toward a kernel issue.
>
> Noted. Unfortunately the disc attached to the machine has started failing
> and is rapidly getting worse so that's something that's got to be tackled
> before I can progress this much further.

Yes, obviously. But if Tom's right (and he usually is) the fbdev trick
won't work.

Good luck,
Martin