Re: Mopping up issues on an old sparc - need advice

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:24:04 -0700
Andrew Sharp <andy@netfall.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:26:51PM -0600, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> >
> >    I've got an ss10 that's running woody, was dist-upgraded from
> >    potato. It
> > is in a remote facility running headless.
>
> woody is obsolete

   It's a 10 year old machine. Woody is the least of it's obsolescence.

> OK, I just wanted to say that to someone once.  Things like potato,
> hamm, etc. '... is obsolete' have been slapped on my forehead so many
> times, I wanted to join "wow-i'm superior" club for 1 second.

   Oh, I agree. No offense taken. It's just a reliable, lightly used
machine that requires very little attention. When a lightning hit to the
coloc facility took it out, it'd been so long since i'd seen OBP that I was
totally baffled as to how to get the drives to boot in another machine.

   Since it's not ia32, the scriptkiddies never seem to root it. At this
point that's the only reason i haven't shoved a spare pentium4 into the
same space. And it's a pretty flimsy reason.

> >    First, for some reason dpkg thinks that dialog and whiptail both
> > conflict with debconf. Baffled here. I've never had to force an issue
> > wrt dependencies and conflicts on debian, how do i just beat it in
> > there?
>
> Can't help you there.  Are you sure they are all the woody versions?
> Have you tried --fix-broken?

   Hmm, unfamiliar with the command. No, I'm not sure they're all woody
versions. The whole deal has been running in one form or another since the
late 90's so it may actually have been upgraded from hamm originally.

   I'll give it a try.

> >    Also, libc6-sparc64 conflicts with libgcc1 and gcc-3.0. What gives?
> >    Best
> > course of action?
>
> I think I remember this one.  Remove gcc-3.0 and libc6-sparc64 and
> re-install gcc-3.0.  I don't think you need gcc-3  libgcc1, quite
> frankly, and you certainly don't need libc6-spark64.  Woody is built with
> 2.95.4 and 3.0 doesn't build much useful.  Sarge is gcc-3.3.  I seem to
> remember that gcc-3.0 had a lot of bugs.  Kernels are built with egcs but
> you must know that.  I know that some people were trying to build kernels
> with 3.0, but with little success.

   That was my general thinking. I'm not as sharp on compilers (especially
old ones) to remember if libgcc1 was relivant to 2.95.4.

   libc6-sparc64 is 'required' for libc6. I'll have to look up the relivant
dpkg command to make it forget about it.

> >    I'm also wondering how advisable it is to try a dist-upgrade to
> >    Sarge on
> > a remote, headless system. If anything goes wrong to where i can't ssh
<Snip!>
> I did it recently on my U2 without any problems.  Haven't powered up the
> now ancient SS20 to try it, quite frankly.
>
> Let us know how it goes.  Sarge is probably worth it now, as woody has
> been taken off the boards.  I had some nasty upgrade problems with an
> x86 desktop that also runs apt-proxy, but I didn't have any problems
> with the sun.

   I will probably wait for a few more success reports before going
further, but thanks.

   Having upgraded from 2xSM51 to a 180mhz hypersparc module, I'm compiling
my first kernel since 2.2.19 on that machine. the config options seem to
have changed somewhat - things that are always true are no longer optional,
which disturbs me somewhat, even though logic demands that it be so. No
sense in disabling zilog serial support, but it's reassuring to see it
there with an asterisk next to it.