Re: Mopping up issues on an old sparc - need advice

>>On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:26:51PM -0600, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
>>

>>>   I've got an ss10 that's running woody, was dist-upgraded from
>>>   potato. It
>>>is in a remote facility running headless.
>>>

>>woody is obsolete
>>

>   It's a 10 year old machine. Woody is the least of it's obsolescence.

Don't forget guys  (and this argument for continued support may be a bit
on the anorexic side) that some of the old sparc32 stuff is all some of
us can afford. I was lucky in that I have a very understanding wife who
indulges my gadget fetish and let me buy a SunBlade 1000, but before
that I was working on an old SparcStation (not even an Ultra !!).

Still perfectly servicable, especially as a learning tool, firewall,
router, small mailserver, etc.

>   Since it's not ia32, the scriptkiddies never seem to root it. At this
>point that's the only reason i haven't shoved a spare pentium4 into the
>same space. And it's a pretty flimsy reason.

Flimsy, possibly, but valid. something as old and veneragle as a sparc32
machine is still more secure than anything ia32.

All I'm saying, for what its worth, is that there are some people for
whom their old sparc32 is perfectly functional...

Jon