Re: improving ssh2 performance on SPARCv8/SPARCv9 systems

* Chris Mason <chris@bash.sh> [020407 13:51]:
[...]
> I then rebuilt
> it using 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b' and installed the
> resulting packages.
>
> If I try an 'apt-get upgrade' on the box it will download the openssl
> sources and re-install them although it downloads exactly the same
> version again without the optimisations.

There are two ways (that i know of):

1. Put your self-compiled package at hold. Got in dselect to that
package and press 'H'. That will prevent apt from updating that package
(it will say "1 package on hold" when you do an upgrade).

2. Change the version number before recompiling. To do that go into the
unpacked yource directory and run
  dch -v "2:2.2.3a-6"
(replace '2.2.3a-6' with the real version of the package. Afterwards just
rebuild the package as usual. To understand what that does read the
packaging manual or the debian part of www.bayour.com's ldapv3-howto
(or just google).

A little note: to keep track if there are newer versions of your
self-built-package in the debian repository run
  apt-show-package -a -p <package>
and
  apt-show-source -a -p <package>
(<package> is your package of course).
I always forget this when security patches come out (which you would
miss othervise).

Gruß,

Karsten

--