Parallel printer port on Ultra 1

I've been using an Ultra 1 running 'woody' as my primary workstation
for quite a while.  I'd like to hook up my LaserJet 4 directly to this
box, but I've been unsuccessful in trying to get the parallel port to
work.  I've looked at various different FAQs and HOWTOs, and haven't
found any hints about it.

Is the parallel port on the Ultra 1 a standard (PC-style) port?  Is it
supported in Sparc Linux?  What modules (and parameters) do I need to
load?

(I'm running kernel 2.2.20.  I had tried 2.4.16 once, but had some
random problems with sound support, so switched back.  I haven't paid
close attention -- what are the issues with the current 2.4.18 kernel?
I'd prefer to run that...)

Thanks,
  Rob.