Re: LEO support and accelerated creator support

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 02:02:04PM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:
> > XFree86_3.3.3.1-0pre1v3 with accelerated LEO support and accelerated
> > FFB (Creator) support added.  It needs a kernel with LEO support compiled
> > in, and it was compiled against your libc-2.1.1, so sparc32 users will
> > have to use the 2.2.7 kernel or build their own.

> OH NO! I am recompiling Glibc 2.1.1 and egcs 1.1.2. Seems that by using
> the standard egcs 1.1.2 we lock ourselves into binary incompatibility
> with slink for anything new compiled due to some odd egcs
> regsiter_frame_info thing. I am fixing this and going to have a new set
> of egcs and glibc 2.1.1 packages later today. This will keep everyone
> from being forced into a complete potato upgrade if they want packages
> from potato.

We might just want to bite the bullet and do the register_frame_info
thing.  It has been done on intel, and it is necessary for
compatibility with Red Hat 6.0 (and perhaps Red Hat 5.2).  I suspect
that if Netscape ever compiles against glibc 2.1 for the sparc, it
will require this symbol from glibc.

They may be forced to upgrade anyways - I just compiled XFree against
the package and it picked up a "libc6 (>= 2.1)" dependency.
(Presumably from the libc6.shlibs file.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu