Re: New XFree86 and (Re: autobuilder...glibc 2.1...egcs 1.1.2)

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 12:42:30PM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:

> > I'll try the libc packages too.  You were also working on an a sparc64
> > compiler, right?  What's the status on that.  If egcs 1.1.2 can
> > correctly compile the sparc64 kernel I'd rather use it than the
> > current egcs64 package (which gets internal errors on the 3com
> > driver).

I just tried the latest glibc packages.  Works on the Ultra5 and SS20
with 2.2.5cvs kernel.  Doesn't work with the slink 2.2.1 kernel on the
SS20 (init wedges).

I wonder if the sparc32 vfork patch is in the 2.2.6 kernel.

> I uploaded a newer one to unstable a bit ago. Presumably the egcs 1.1.2
> does not compile sparc64 kernels. When the mainline egcs package can do
> this, we should just be able to compiled with --with-cpu=ultrasparc and
> get a dual target gcc right with a default of -m32 (-m64 must be
> specified) right?

If I'm not mistaken, we'd essentially need a cross compiler named
sparc64-linux-gcc.  So, when the egcs package can handle compiling the
kernel, we'd have to tell it to build a cross compiler for sparc64
binaries (much like the cross compiler for m68k works).

--with-cpu=ultrasparc just does UltraSparc optimizations (code
ordering, etc) - we need to produce code for 64-bit mode (so some of
the type sizes are different - and some instrs are different) and
dump them into ELF64 object files.

> > Also, some people may have found this out already, the sparc64
> > platform does not run libc5 packages unless you use the ld.so from
> > UltraPenguin.  I will port the patches when I find some time.  This
> > problem is only relevent to people trying to build altgcc packages on
> > UltraSparc systems.  (We essentially need a different version of the
> > dynamic loader on sun4u machines.)

> Yes yes yes! I really need to be able to run the libc5 java.

Oh, I didn't know anybody noticed.  I'll work on it remotely when I
get home.  (If TCI isn't down.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu