Re: What configuration prefix ?

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 01:46:30PM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:
> > How about /opt/snapshots?
>
> I was afraid of that.  I'd like a shorter path.  Maybe /opt/snap?

I'd prefer /opt/snapshots; the tab key is our friend, after all, and
readability is very important.

> > I'm not fond of /opt in general, but I agree the alternatives are
> > worse.
>
> Agreed.  Another alternative would be to do something like /snap, but
> that isn't provided for under the FHS/FSSTND.

I'd much prefer /opt to that.

> > Perhaps snap-stable-gnome-hello?  Or dsp-stable-gnome-hello if you
> > prefer, but it's less immediately obvious.  And /opt/snapshots-stable?
>
> That sounds good.  How does /opt/snap-stable sound?

Again, I would probably go for /opt/snapshots-stable...or maybe
/opt/stable?

> I think I'll use the snap-stable- prefix on the package names if
> people don't mind.

Sounds good.

> The problem with putting long prefixes on the names is that it becomes
> impossible to use "dpkg -l" to see the full filename.  I guess people can
> always use "dpkg --get-selections".

Keep reminding me and maybe I'll fix this :)

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |