Re: What configuration prefix ?

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > Yes.  Acronym overuse is bad, and DSP has been around for a long time.
> > How about /opt/snapshots?
> >
> > > What do people think of using /opt?  I think it's a better choice than
> > > putting things under /usr/local.  And we don't want to put things in
> > > the FSSTND locations, because we want to be able to install these at
> > > the same time as the released Debian packages without causing
> > > conflicts.
> >
> > I'm not fond of /opt in general, but I agree the alternatives are
> > worse.
>
> no /opt.  no /usr/local.  /usr/lib/snapshots is much better.
> debian should NOT touch those first 2.

The problem I have with /usr/lib is that we are going to be dumping
configuration files, documentation, executables, and all sorts of
stuff in there.  You're not really supposed to do that with /usr/lib,
according to the FSSTND.

The FSSTND provides /opt as an alternative namespace for vendors that
want to ship their programs, but don't want to integrate them into the
FSSTND locations.  That's fairly similar to what we are doing.

Of course, we can always decide to throught the FSSTND out the window.
:-)

Cheers,

 - Jim