Re: What configuration prefix ?

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 01:06:37PM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm going to try to get gnome-libs to build some snapshot-style
> > packages from out of the CVS.
> >
> > Where should we install this stuff?
> >
> > I was thinking we could put everything under /opt/dsp
> >
> > Where dsp = Debian Snapshots Project.  Of course, dsp also stands for
> > "digital signal processor".  Do you think people will get confused?
>
> Yes.  Acronym overuse is bad, and DSP has been around for a long time.
> How about /opt/snapshots?

I was afraid of that.  I'd like a shorter path.  Maybe /opt/snap?

> > What do people think of using /opt?  I think it's a better choice than
> > putting things under /usr/local.  And we don't want to put things in
> > the FSSTND locations, because we want to be able to install these at
> > the same time as the released Debian packages without causing
> > conflicts.
>
> I'm not fond of /opt in general, but I agree the alternatives are
> worse.

Agreed.  Another alternative would be to do something like /snap, but
that isn't provided for under the FHS/FSSTND.

> > Also, how's this for a naming scheme?
> >
> >   Regular Packages         Snapshot Packages
> >   ----------------         -----------------
> >   gnome-hello              dsp-gnome-hello
> >
> > The idea is that both sets of packages can be installed at the same
> > time.  By having the 'dsp-' prefix at the beginning of the name, the
> > packages have a nice sort order.
> >
> > Another issue that the recent Gnome freeze just brought up: now there
> > are two branches of the CVS - a stable branch and an unstable branch.
> > I'll follow the stable branch for now with my snapshots.  But how
> > should we handle the situation in the future where there are two
> > branches we want to track?
>
> Perhaps snap-stable-gnome-hello?  Or dsp-stable-gnome-hello if you
> prefer, but it's less immediately obvious.  And /opt/snapshots-stable?

That sounds good.  How does /opt/snap-stable sound?

I think I'll use the snap-stable- prefix on the package names if
people don't mind.

The problem with putting long prefixes on the names is that it becomes
impossible to use "dpkg -l" to see the full filename.  I guess people can
always use "dpkg --get-selections".

Cheers,

 - Jim