Re: Checking for services to be restarted on a default Debian installation

On 09/08/2014 06:33 AM, David Prévot wrote:
> Le 07/09/2014 10:54, Paul Wise a écrit :
>> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM, David Prévot wrote:
>
>>> How does it work if the upgrade run in the background? Will all needed
>>> service be restarted without asking? (If so, the gdm3 restart issue may
>>> be a blocker).
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by 'in the background'
>
> I meant if a tool that take care of upgrading automatically packages in
> the background (e.g., unattended-upgrades) is installed and running.

needrestart is scriptable... could be called by some hook in the
background restarting any service (but it won't do it by default).

>> but there is an option
>> to automatically restart services, the default is to ask (via debconf)
>> for each service, defaulting each package to restart.
>
> That’s another annoying thing: even if it looks like a debconf screen,
> it doesn’t seem to offer it’s advantages, and doesn’t seem translated
> nor translatable (which is a must according to policy 3.9.1). That

The debconf stuff is upstream and IMHO *not* a "3.9.1 Prompting in
maintainer scripts" issue (but I'm willing to fix your bug report
#761068 anyway :-).

> package seems pretty young, not much used (comparing its popcon with the
> unattended-upgrades’ one), and even if its goal is valuable, I’m not
> convinced that pushing it into the default install less than two months
> before the freeze is really a good idea.

ACK

Needrestart won't tell you which processes are using orphanded libraries
- this is completely hidden from the user. It will only bother
restarting corresponding services... and the package is shipped with a
ignore list for services which are known to break something while
restarting (i.e. NetworkManager, DMs, dbus, dhclient, ...).
Unexperienced users should be OK with that minimally invasive approach.

Regards,
Thomas

--
support@ibh.de                              Tel. +49 351 477 77 30
www.ibh.de                                  Fax  +49 351 477 77 39

Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Liske
Netzwerk- und System-Design

IBH IT-Service GmbH                         Amtsgericht Dresden
Gostritzer Str. 67a                         HRB 13626
D-01217 Dresden                             GF: Prof. Dr. Thomas Horn
Germany                                     VAT DE182302907
Ihr Partner für: LAN, WAN IP-Quality, Security, VoIP, SAN, Backup, USV
       professioneller IT-Service - kompetent und zuverlässig