Checking for services to be restarted on a default Debian installation

Hi all,

When using APT to install security updates, by default services using the
upgraded libraries are not restarted. Take for example openssl updates: merely
doing apt-get update && apt-get upgrade is not enough to be safe: you also
need to restart Apache, Postfix, ...

Although well-trained admins will know this and take appropriate measures, not
everyone will be aware of this. It gets even more confusting as a few packages
implement some kind of service restarting logic, while the majority doesn't.

I think it would help the security of the average Debian system if some tool
to restart services after package upgrades was installed by default. There's
"checkrestart" from debian-goodies, but since Jessie also the a bit more
modern "needrestart" in its own package. I've been running the latter on a few
systems for a while now and am satisfied with how it works.

My questions to this list:
- Do people agree that this would be something that's good to have in a
default installation? Are there drawbacks?
- If agreed, how would we approach this? I have to admit that I do not know
who decides what is part of a default install or where this is implemented.

Cheers,
Thijs