Re: Checking for services to be restarted on a default Debian installation

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:48 AM, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

> I think it would help the security of the average Debian system if some tool
> to restart services after package upgrades was installed by default. There's
> "checkrestart" from debian-goodies, but since Jessie also the a bit more
> modern "needrestart" in its own package. I've been running the latter on a few
> systems for a while now and am satisfied with how it works.

In jessie there is also whatmaps. The results from checkrestart seem
to be different to needrestart in many cases, since the latter ignores
some services that are problematic/impossible to restart (like
gdm/dbus or any programs running in user sessions).

> My questions to this list:
> - Do people agree that this would be something that's good to have in a
> default installation? Are there drawbacks?

Yes please.

--
bye,
pabs