Re: Mailserver HDD organization

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 11:04:45PM +0100, kuepper@in-secure.dyn.ee wrote:

> [...]

Boot is where kernels live (placed at the start of the disk for old bioses
that cannot read far into large disks ... your bios may not need it...
experiment if you have time).  I have "a lot" of kernels on my system, 6 and
my boot directory takes only 7 meg.  A very reasonable size for boot is 16
meg, 32 is surely more than you will ever need.

If you plan to watch over your system, one big partition is not bad, it allows for
easier administration as you are managing only 1 partition as opposed to many.
If you want to be cautios, consider breaking out /var to prevent bad users
from filling up their mail spools (likewise with /home if they are allowed to
use imap folders) and to prevent your logs from filling your system.
Realistically, for most real world small applications with the large size of
disks today, one partition will likely work fine for you.

As far as MTA software, they qmail package is renown for being secure, but
also for the developer being hard to work with and for having a restrictive
license.  If licensing is not an issue for you then it may work well for you.
Postfix has a nice license, is simple to understand and manage, and places a
lot of emphasis on security.

good luck,
donfede