Re: Why does r-cran-rcppgsl not migrate to testing?

Hi Andreas,

On 7 September 2017 at 21:20, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
| On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 04:22:33PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > On 6 September 2017 at 22:48, Andreas Tille wrote:
| > | [Chris, I took the freedom to move r-cran-mcmc to Debian Science
| > |  team since I had the impression that this would generally OK for
| > |  you.]
| > |
| > | Hi Dirk,
| > |

| > | Well, you know from own experience that not all information is reaching
| > | the target audience.  It might have helped to address Debian Science and
| > | Debian Med team to make some more noise.
| > |

| Any chance to recompute the list just in case somebody else has also
| upgraded a package?  It would be nice if the list would have a timestamp
| of creation.

It should just work -- the write up is after all hanging off the RcppAPT
repo, so just install RcppAPT and then you can query R _and Debian_ from R.
The one step Prof Hornik suggested required CRAN sources to grep, but I think
I in the last iteration I proxied that by just fetching the .tar.gz from
CRAN.  Or at least it could be done.

If you have a question about RcppAPT maybe just open an issue at GitHub.

I'll be traveling this weekend so not sure I'll get to that before next week.

| > | The list is not fully up to date.  I recently uploaded a new version of
| > | r-cran-randomfields which remains inside the list.  I need to admit a
| > | shorter page which points directly to tasks to do which is up to date
| > | would be more motivating to lend a helping hand.
| > |
| > | I just uploaded
| > |
| > |    r-cran-spdep
| > |    r-cran-gam
| > |    r-cran-mcmc
|
| I uploaded as well:
|
| 	r-cran-data.table
| 	r-cran-vegan
| 	r-cran-bayesm
| 	r-cran-expm
| 	r-cran-phangorn
| 	r-cran-maptools
| 	r-cran-caret
| 	r-cran-goftest
| 	r-cran-igraph
| 	r-cran-maps
| 	r-cran-eco
| 	r-cran-randomfields
| 	r-bioc-genefilter

That helps with the open bug report, thank you!  As you know I'd also love to
see them be current. I find with my r-cran-* packages (of which I have
several dozen) that it only takes a couple of minutes each time so I
generally do.

| For those who want to help but have no idea how to do a team upload:
|
| 	debcheckout --user <user_name_on_alioth> --git-track '*' <package>
| 	cd <package>
| 	dch --team
| 	# do at least a Standards-Version: 4.1.0
| 	# even better
| 	uscan --verbose
| 	# upgrade to new version
| 	# commit + push your changes
|
| Any Debian developer has commit permissions to Debian Med / Debian
| Science repositories.  Other users need to ask for team membership.
| It would be fine if you submit for instance
|
| 	git format-patch <your_first_commit>
|
| and attach these patches to a sponsoring request bug.
|
| In case a package is not yet in VCS you can do the following:
|
| 	gbp import-dscs --debsnap --pristine-tar <package>
| 	cd <package>
| 	# ask maintainer whether it is OK to move the package
| 	# into Debian Science team maintenance.  If yes,
| 	# add Vcs Fields and the Debian Science maintainer list
| 	# as Maintainer, keeping the former Maintainer as Uploader
| 	# do changes as above
| 	# to inject your freshly created repository you can use
| 	svn checkout svn://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/helper-scripts /tmp/helper-scripts
| 	/tmp/helper-scripts/inject-into-alioth-git
|
| This is basically what I did with the packages above and I'll try
| to keep on working on this.

| > |
| > | I'd prefer if you would leave out at least every second chance to repeat
| > | this.  We could talk about this once somebody might pay somebody to
| > | follow each and every update of any random R package.
| >
| > I may once you start to maintain them -- instead of just hoarding them Take
| > but one example: https://packages.debian.org/sid/r-cran-data.table
| >
| > Exactly who is served by not updating one of the more widely used to package
| > to one of the two releases that happened _this calendar year_ ?
|
| If you would ask a non-polemic question I would consider answering
| instead of working on the packages even if you are stealing the topic of
| the thread.

Sorry, but you started this.  After you had the temerity to ask about this
list when I had posted the same URL probably four or five times already.

And I just don't understand why you get so irritated about it. This is a
simple observable reality visible to everybody who cares to look a the QA
pages for debian-med and debian-science.  Hundreds of packages, generally
well maintained with few critical bugs --- but for several years now also
generally outdated. You can jump up and down and scream at me as much as you
want, but the fix is not in yelling at me for pointing this out.  The fix is
in keeping the packages current.  As we do with most other Debian packages.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org