Re: Why does r-cran-rcppgsl not migrate to testing?

Andreas,

Mail CC'ed to debian-science goes into the debian-science folder which I
don't regularly open, so sorry for the delay.  If in doubt or if I don't
reply please email (or DM) me directly,

On 2 September 2017 at 16:17, Andreas Tille wrote:
| according to
|
|     https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=r-cran-rcppgsl
|
| r-cran-rcppgsl does not migrate to testing but I admit I do not really
| understand what to do.  Could you please have a look?

It is not just r-cran-rcppgsl -- but r-base 3.4.1 itself.

It is a trivial "monstly non-bug" bug report. But the release team won't act,
so I am now resigned to waiting.  I explained the case in

  https://bugs.debian.org/868558

and particularly in this write-up

  http://eddelbuettel.github.io/rcppapt/binnmuAfterR340.html

which has a more fine-grained analysis.

I can actually no longer replicate the original issue

  https://bugs.debian.org/861333

with any of the few (40-some now) packages still affected. They load and
function too for me.  (My test was not exhaustive though).

I am frustrated, but I can not get any change to happen. I tried an email to
debian-devel last week, but to no avail.

On 2 September 2017 at 16:22, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
| That's due to #861333
| The solution would be some dozen binNMUs, that for some reason the
| release team is unhappy to schedule.  See https://bugs.debian.org/868558
| for the fuller story.

Exactly.

On 2 September 2017 at 16:25, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
| This is because of #861333 (essentially an ABI breakage). r-base is therefore
| prevented to migrate to testing, and since R packages have a tight dependency
| on the latest version of R, they cannot migrate either. Lots of R packages are
| currently stuck in unstable for that reason.

People keep waving the "ABI breakage" flag but it is really just a
garden-variety bug in R affecting __a subset of a subset__.

Dirk, frustrated

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org