Re: Why does r-cran-rcppgsl not migrate to testing?

Hi Dirk,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 04:22:33PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 6 September 2017 at 22:48, Andreas Tille wrote:
> | [Chris, I took the freedom to move r-cran-mcmc to Debian Science
> |  team since I had the impression that this would generally OK for
> |  you.]
> |
> | Hi Dirk,

> | > I gave this URL about half a dozen times:
> | >
> | >   http://eddelbuettel.github.io/rcppapt/binnmuAfterR340.html
> |
> | Well, you know from own experience that not all information is reaching
> | the target audience.  It might have helped to address Debian Science and
> | Debian Med team to make some more noise.
> |
> | > It contains the list, as well as a way to compute it.

Any chance to recompute the list just in case somebody else has also
upgraded a package?  It would be nice if the list would have a timestamp
of creation.

> | The list is not fully up to date.  I recently uploaded a new version of
> | r-cran-randomfields which remains inside the list.  I need to admit a
> | shorter page which points directly to tasks to do which is up to date
> | would be more motivating to lend a helping hand.
> |
> | I just uploaded
> |
> |    r-cran-spdep
> |    r-cran-gam
> |    r-cran-mcmc

I uploaded as well:

	r-cran-data.table
	r-cran-vegan
	r-cran-bayesm
	r-cran-expm
	r-cran-phangorn
	r-cran-maptools
	r-cran-caret
	r-cran-goftest
	r-cran-igraph
	r-cran-maps
	r-cran-eco
	r-cran-randomfields
	r-bioc-genefilter

For those who want to help but have no idea how to do a team upload:

	debcheckout --user <user_name_on_alioth> --git-track '*' <package>
	cd <package>
	dch --team
	# do at least a Standards-Version: 4.1.0
	# even better
	uscan --verbose
	# upgrade to new version
	# commit + push your changes

Any Debian developer has commit permissions to Debian Med / Debian
Science repositories.  Other users need to ask for team membership.
It would be fine if you submit for instance

	git format-patch <your_first_commit>

and attach these patches to a sponsoring request bug.

In case a package is not yet in VCS you can do the following:

	gbp import-dscs --debsnap --pristine-tar <package>
	cd <package>
	# ask maintainer whether it is OK to move the package
	# into Debian Science team maintenance.  If yes,
	# add Vcs Fields and the Debian Science maintainer list
	# as Maintainer, keeping the former Maintainer as Uploader
	# do changes as above
	# to inject your freshly created repository you can use
	svn checkout svn://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/helper-scripts /tmp/helper-scripts
	/tmp/helper-scripts/inject-into-alioth-git

This is basically what I did with the packages above and I'll try
to keep on working on this.

> | > Please do. Being behind upstream is essentially never a good idea.
> |
> | I'd prefer if you would leave out at least every second chance to repeat
> | this.  We could talk about this once somebody might pay somebody to
> | follow each and every update of any random R package.
>
> I may once you start to maintain them -- instead of just hoarding them Take
> but one example: https://packages.debian.org/sid/r-cran-data.table
>
> Exactly who is served by not updating one of the more widely used to package
> to one of the two releases that happened _this calendar year_ ?

If you would ask a non-polemic question I would consider answering
instead of working on the packages even if you are stealing the topic of
the thread.