Re: {debian,pkg}-science repository [Was: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth]

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

I'm probably offline until Monday but would volunteer to get the
repository installed and set up. I guess I can report back on Wednesday
next week latest, if that's considered a reasonable time frame.

Sure.

I'll have a closer look but at the first glace it looks sensible. I just
do not see a good reason what the reasoning behind the mathematics-dev
task is.

The rationale behind the science-mathematics-dev package is that
we do not want to flood users hard disk with lots of development stuff
if he only wants to use some mathematical applications.  So this
is a practical reason for the meta packages.  There is no such
reason for the repository and I don't think it makes sense to
stick to this for the VCS hierarchy.  That's what I meant when I
wrote you should feel free to change things you don't feel reasonable.

Or why other tasks do not have a corresponding section.

Also practical metapackage reasons:  There are just no so much other
-dev packages so they do not need a separate meta package.  But IMHO this
meta package considerations are void for the VSC hierarchy (in contrary
it might be even a bad idea to implement this 1:1) because we need
a structure according sciences to attract the right experts.  The
developers who are working with the repository are expected to know
themselves which package is development related and which not.

Could
you please give a short comment on that, please? Thanks in advance!

Hope this clarifies things.