partial checkout in git (was Re: {debian, pkg}-science repository)

    Charles> In Debian-Med we are trying to understand better Git in
    Charles> order to see if it would make sense to switch from
    Charles> Subversion. So far, the ability to do repository-wide
    Charles> changes was useful to us, as well as the possibility to
    Charles> do partial checkouts if needed. If I understand well, it
    Charles> is not possible to have both with Git. Is there a Git
    Charles> expert here that could tell us if upstream is planning to
    Charles> implement that kind of feature ?

Well, I am most certainly not a git expert. But I guess _part_ of what you
want can be done with submodules

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.5.5/user-manual.html#submodules

Also of possible interest is "mr", the software by Joey Hess to manage multiple
repositories.  mr is already in Debian.

	       http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/mr/
	       http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/introducing_mr/
	       http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/more_mr_fun/

I have the impression that mr layered on top of git can give you the
tree view you want.  I haven't used it though.  I have used
submodules, and they too would work, although the caveat about
publishing the submodules first is to be taken seriously.

David